Cocina Coreana -Comiendo tentáculos vivos de pulpo-


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Desde luego una experiencia culinaria, en esta página está el relato de una visita al restaurante The Prince situado en Los Angeles. En este restaurante sirven comida coreana, y está especializado en comida exótica, hasta tal punto que uno allí puede sentirse de forma parecida a como se debió sentir Kate Capshaw en El Templo maldito a la hora de cenar.
La experiencia se cuenta en este blog, donde el autor del relato explica como quiso mantener una especie de contacto íntimo con los alimentos que vamos a tomar . Así que entre tanto manjar el chico se pide unos tentáculos vivos de pulpo. Así que matan al pulpo al momento y según parece los tentáculos medio vivos y medio muertos contínuan moviéndose durante un rato tal rabos de ragartija (no está muerto lo que yace eternamente...?). Investigaré el fenómeno.

The Prince
Neighborhood: Korea Town
3198 W Seventh St
Los Angeles, CA 90005

Dejo aquí el momento cumbre del relato:

“Popular for its Korean bar snacks, The Prince also pushes an odd assortment of dishes ranging from the restaurant’s crowd pleasing fried chicken to sea snails cooked various ways. The Prince, however, has a culinary dark side. At the end of the heavy bound menu near the bottom of the page are a couple of secret items known only to those who can decipher the Korean script. Are you one of those who wish you could sample something from the non-English menus in Asian eateries? Well, if you are, be careful what you wish for. Acting on a tip from a Deep End Dining reader, I scanned the menu for the live octopus tentacles he recommended. Not seeing it right away, I noticed other intriguing yet suspect items like sautéed silk worms. Then, believing that I spotted my quarry on the menu, I asked the waiter if the “raw octopus tentacles” listed on the page were also live tentacles. He shook his head no and guided me to the back of the menu then pointed to the Korean words. Here is where the live tentacles are found.

He asked stoically, “Are you sure you want that?”

I shot back, “Absolutely.”

I have never been more excited anticipating an exotic dish because I knew this one was going to be extraordinary. Ever since my brother Warren told me about his live tentacles experience years ago in Japan, I’ve been dreaming about the day I’d have live tentacles squirming in my mouth. (Yeah, I know, these Lin kids are batty. Mmmm, bat.)

A couple of soju shooters later, the waiter returned and unceremoniously set a plate in the center of the table catching me and Diane off guard. Some time was needed to register what we were viewing. The sight was uncanny. It was ridiculous and sublime. Both comic and tragic like Greek theatre masks. "What fresh hell is this?" Extremely fresh hell, evidently.

The raging plate of squirming, writhing and willful baby octopus tentacles awed us. If I was the Greek hero Perseus, then this plate before me was the severed head of Medusa the Gorgon with her locks of seething, slithering serpents. Hyperbole? How about understatement. Much like Medusa’s disembodied head, these tentacles still believed they were alive — the limbs attached to a phantom body. Diane’s head spun in a figurative way but bordered on literal. Her brain signals and emotions were cross firing so dramatically that she was laughing, gagging, hyperventilating and sobbing all in the same breath. I offered her the first taste but she replied, “When hell freezes over.” This I interpreted as a “no”.”


Labels: , ,


0 Responses to “Cocina Coreana -Comiendo tentáculos vivos de pulpo-”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Another Links

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Unión de Bloggers Hispanos blog search directory Personal Blogs - Blog Top Sites Top Personal blogs


ATOM 0.3